Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Statements of Mass Assumptions

ROTW Contributor: Angela Durden

Don’t you just love how some folks will take one isolated, minute point in an incident that has never happened to them before and then from that make a statement of mass assumption (SMA)? It is especially painful to watch when those statements are blatantly used in support of a strongly held belief that defies logic and the rest of the experience of all humankind.

Then when they pick up on one tiny word in a complete paragraph of mine and proceed to make a SMA about me and “all those like me”, well… 

Look, honestly, my use of social media is simply business. To get eyes on me. To sell stuff I’ve got: books, services, music for placement with artists, and much more and more and more. I like to entertain and make people think.

I’m not using social media to find a boyfriend or my next husband. I like meeting folks in the real world…and I’m always out and about doing just that. That means if there are people who do nothing but pick fights via Statements of Mass Assumptions, I unfriend and unfollow.


I love a good debate. But not for the simple sake of debating itself; you know, to hear myself talk. I’ve got better things to do than spin my wheels…and after awhile, I sure get tired of my own voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment