Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Good luck, Talia Jane

By Mouser the King Cat

The workplace can be crappy. It is unbearable when you make a string of poor decisions, as Talia Jane did.

 Her story, in her words published at Medium:
 “I left college, having majored in English literature, with a dream to work in media. It was either that or go to law school. Or become a teacher. But I didn’t want to become a cliche or drown in student loans, see. I also desperately needed to leave where I was living. … I found a job … and I put a bunch of debt on a shiny new credit card to afford the move.”

Her job was in customer service at Yelp/Eat 24, which publishes crowdsourced reviews of eateries and such. It was in San Francisco.

The operative word is WAS; her story was titled “An Open Letter To My CEO.” Shortly after it appeared, Talia Jane was fired. The CEO, Jeremy Stoppleman, went on Twitter to deny he knew of the firing before it happened. Skeptics might consider the number of yes men CEOs surround themselves with.

More from Talia Jane: “So here I am, 25, years ago, balancing all sorts of debt and trying to pave a life for myself that doesn’t involve crying in the bathtub every week. Every single one of my co-workers is struggling. They’re taking side jobs, they’re living at home. One of them started a GoFundMe because she couldn’t pay her rent. She ended up leaving the company and moving east, somewhere the minimum wage could double as a living wage.”

I’d like to know where that is, but I digress. The points here: Talia Jane holds a worthless degree; Talia Jane made a poor choice of entry-level jobs; Talia Jane insulted the company CEO.

Don’t be Talia Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment