Monday, August 29, 2016

Bored with politics? Listen to a new distraction podcast

by Kim D.

Yes, I know this is a political website/blog, and, yes, at this point in the 2016 election I'm thoroughly sick of politics. I was a Cruz supporter and still am proud to admit it; therefore, the rest of the clown show at this point is rather boring to me.  

If you are close to the edge of apathy and looking for alternative entertainment, which is largely apolitical even though the hosts appear to be quite liberal, "My Favorite Murder" may be a new and interesting podcast find for you. It was for me.  I typically listen to political podcasts, having discovered the MSM bias to be disgusting and boring, but last week I started looking on Itunes for something different. 


Art Credit
Currently My Favorite Murder, hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark is #17 on the Itunes top audio podcasts list. These ladies only began the show this past January and have currently recorded only 31 episodes. Clearly they are doing something right (they are listed #3rd most popular comedy podcast), and I think it is the blending of a horrific topic - murder - with comedy. 

Imagine a girl's pajama party where the topic is true crime and is interpreted through a valley girl's eyes. If you've ever found yourself bindging crime drama series on Netflix or watching back-to-back episodes of "Snapped," "Dateline,' or "The First 48," you may be a "murderino" and an hour or two with Kilagariff and Hardstark will be a good fit for you.

If you've ever had a friend or spouse question your sanity for enjoying true crime, My Favorite Murder has a Facebook safe-space page, where you can join and share your hometown murder, should you decide to do so. The show has some funny tag lines like "Stay sexy. Don't get murdered." But warning, one listener's father nicknamed the podcast the "F-word Murder Show" for a very good reason. The ladies don't sugarcoat language and let the f-bombs fly at will. Listening with headphones is a great idea if you have young children.

They tackle subjects from the obscure to the currently popular JonBenet Ramsey. After 20 years with no resolution of her murder, JonBenet's brother is featured in a true-crime update with Dr. Phil, a 3-part series beginning September 12th. 

My favorite episodes are the ones in which I haven't ever heard about the murders. In fact, I included my favorite one so far "Episode Twenty-Nein" which explores family annihilator John List and blind date gone wrong victim Warriena Tagpuno Wright.  Enjoy! Stay sexy. And don't get murdered.

No comments:

Post a Comment