Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Vigilant Freedom: A Response to Cruz’s Drop-out #NeverTrump

by Meg Dare



Well, I’m sure you already know…but in case you don’t, Ted Cruz has dropped out of the presidential race. Not to beat a dead horse, but let’s have a come-to-Jesus meeting about this, my friends.


If you read my last post about why this millennial planned on voting for Cruz on Tuesday, you know how much I adore the man. I confess to perhaps indulging in some moping, Kit Kat devouring, and ranting on Twitter in reaction to his loss in Indiana/drop out.  I already wasn’t thrilled to be called a Hoosier; but now I’m thinking of moving to Texas, where the hottest fellows roam.
I am still beyond proud to have voted for Ted yesterday. That’s what America is supposed to be about. One Trump supporter told me I should have voted for a winner. I said, “I don't care about winning. I care about principles. I can sleep well tonight 'cuz I voted for who I believe in. I stand by that.” I will admit to having drifted off to sleep easily, but I did have a nightmare. No joke. It involved the undead. I was trying to save someone when a zombie, who faked being dead-dead, lurched forward and bit me. Then he started monologue-ing. No he wasn’t wearing a toupee, nor sporting an orangey tan. Being a counselor, I am intrigued and have theories as to its meaning, but I won’t bore you. Something to do with despairing and my massive hero-complex which has been evident in numerous of my dreams.

However, me being the bounce-back kind of gal I am, I’ll get over it. No despair. Cruz is a beautiful, rare human-being but he is not conservatism itself. He was our champion and fighter, a man we could back and trust with pride…but the ideals he upheld are not dead without him. We must remain ever-vigilant and continue the good fight, with or without a champion. If we learned anything from Ted Cruz it is that these ideas are worth fighting for.
Okay, my soap box is starting to bow under the extra weight of me and those Kit Kats from last night. Plus this horse looks a mess now…but something tells me we haven’t heard the last of him. Cruz isn’t the type to go home, drink beer and eat Cheetos for two months. My guess is he will still be fighting for freedom’s cause for many years. Tenacity is part of his charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment