Sunday, May 10, 2015

Why I Love Mother's Day

by Kim D.
My fingers hesitated before I clicked on the link. But, my curiosity got the best of me, and as I added to Salon's coffers, I read the article "Why I hate Mother's Day." As you might as well expect, this Mother's Day slam is a hit piece on what the author, a mom herself, sees as the artificial value of mothers as superior. It's basically a frivolous diatribe which boils down to a war on mothers. This is the narrative that the new feminist, even a mother, must promote to stay cool with her pro-abort and militant lesbian cohorts.

So, I sacrificed myself, wasted a few precious minutes of life, and saved you a click. You're welcome. Now, let me tell you why I love Mother's Day.

It's not for the special attention. This morning, my husband left early to play golf, and my son woke me with the mantra that "it's morning and I need pancakes and bacon." In case you are wondering, no - I am not an abused mother. My husband enjoys golf and is a happier person when he spends time playing. My son is only five and I'm not ready for him to be firing up the stove at breakfast time. We will be having a late Mother's Day brunch in a few hours where I'll receive "the love."

It's not for the gifts. My husband took my son shopping yesterday afternoon. And, I have a nice present and card to open later, accompanied by a beautiful bouquet of flowers. But, these can't match the gift I received on Thursday when my son's preschool class hosted "Muffins with Moms," sang us songs, and presented us with homemade cards and seedlings of Johnny Jump-ups and Lobelia. You see, it's doesn't boil down to the dollars spent. It's the little things and effort to make something special that gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

I never expected to be a "real" mother. I became a stepmother 10 years ago, and my stepdaughter, now 26, always made me feel special on Mother's Day, even though she has a strong relationship with her biological mother. Within a year of marrying my husband, I became pregnant with twins which I lost at 17 weeks. Yes, that was a difficult life experience for us both, but three more pregnancies would end with the same result until a miracle happened and our son was born in 2010.

I love Mother's Day for one basic reason. It's a reminder to me that I have made a difference in someone's life. The children in my life are healthy and happy, and, yes, I helped build that. I am proud to be a step-mother and mother, even though at this very minute the toilet has flushed and I hear that familiar "Mom, will you come help me wipe my butt." It's not always a glamorous job, but I'm thankful for it.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated, darlin'. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The timing of the potty wipe was classic and literally happened as I was wrapping it up. Kids r great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sentiment for a special day. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Daniel! You're the best! 😃

    ReplyDelete