Friday, May 27, 2016

Your Feelings, Your Problems

by Meg Dare

Is anyone else tired of this? It seems in our modern society, people expect me and you, dear readers, to either validate their feelings or manage the fickle things for them. Essentially, that is what the core of social justice warriors is all about, am I right?

As a counselor (in the making), let me save you a lot of money in therapy SJWs…your feelings are your problems. I know, right? I’m brilliant. Don’t get me wrong—I believe in empathy, compassion, understanding, etc. But they can only go so far. And I only have so much patience with whiners. This Movement of Progressive Feels Whiners (MPFW) is not only obnoxious and a nuisance for those of us who aren’t emotionally disturbed, but it causes a deeper issue people aren’t seeing from the surface.
We are creating a generation of people who do not know how to regulate their own feelings and emotions. They make it the job of others, even the courts, to deal with an offense.  Parents need to teach their children how to calm themselves down. Remind them that it isn’t Timmy’s fault you got mad, so you shouldn’t screech at him and throw your Tonka truck; I don’t care if you are 37.
Photo Credit
With idiotic concepts like “hate speech,” “trigger warnings,” and “safe zones,” we are wussifying generations and who knows the consequences on down the line. Instead of emergency hatchets and fire extinguishers in red cases, college campuses will eventually have teddy bears and blankies in case of emergency, mark my words.
My little brother knows this well; whenever there is someone whining at me, especially in regards to placing their feelings in my hands, I typically say, “You want some cheese and crackers to go with your whine?” He hates it. But it gets the point across. No, I don’t say that sort of thing to clients. But I do tell them when they are complaining about crap instead of getting to the root of issues and let them know when they are the problem, and throw a bunch of good one-liners that would get me fired if I wasn’t doing pro-bono work.
One of my favorite things to say to a client is, “Let me stop you right there. I don’t care about your feelings. I care about you. There’s a difference.” It goes over so well, let me tell you. As a counselor, feelings are important to me, but they are mere indicators, not dictators. They are like warning signals, telling me there is a bigger problem, not something I pay homage to.
So if any SJW is reading this and gets their feels hurt, remember this…I don’t care.

No comments:

Post a Comment